Dutch Elm Productions
wood with a subtle twist of pestilence

- in which our plaintiff strives to make some magic image box trickery, in order to insinuate himself into Dame Marjory's will. Constable Blackthorpe, however, has suspicions.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Style


I suppose everyone has a style, alhough it can be hard to spot your own.

I like older styles, and most of my creative musings are influenced by recalling an age where people did things "properly" and with a certain degree of respect. Like most nostalgic thinking, this era may not have actually existed, but I like to think it did.

Short stories, novelettes and films in particular that have stayed with me:

Most of M.R. James ghost stories , especially "O Whistle, and I'll Come to you, My Lad" and "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral".
Algernon Blackwood's short stories.
JS Le Fanu.
Doctor Who (Baker Years).
"Terror by Night", "Pearl of Death" and other Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films.
The "Dead of Night" British Horror anthology.
Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's tremendous ad-libbed witterings.

And a bunch of other stuff.

I'm never quite sure how people say they like to write when they don't like to read, or like to make films when they don't like watching films, it strikes me that they'd have trouble or at least I would.

With this new animation I'm finally trying to come up with an adaptation of an older traditional story. I've wanted to do it for a while now, and nearly embarked on adapting Edgar Allan Poe a few times before.

We'll see how it turns out!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah the golden age, always just out of reach!

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home