Dutch Elm Productions
wood with a subtle twist of pestilence

- in which our plaintiff strives to make some magic image box trickery, in order to insinuate himself into Dame Marjory's will. Constable Blackthorpe, however, has suspicions.

Friday, December 02, 2005

No Time for Jibba Jabba

Tim Clague yesterday advised that I should "stick to ..(my).. vision" and I agree.

I think it helps when making a film to listen to what anyone has to say on it, but then be stubborn on doing what you were going to do anyway.

This isn't to say you can't take on board ideas, but if you got excited about doing something in the first place then don't lose sight of that initial rush.

What can happen is that you can stare at your idea for too long then lose sight of what it was in the first place.

This can happen if you let a project go on too long, or it wasn't really that firm an idea in the first place, you don't stand up to strong opinions, or it was an impulsive idea that doesn't bear up to having light shone on it. In fact, I'm courting these sorts of problems by blogging The Wallpaper but then it's quite exciting for me to produce a film publically; all kind of different.

But what the hell, go for it. I reckon far better to have a definite idea and go right through with it even if people don't like it.

It may seem to those who've seen earlier Landcrab films that either myself, or me + Glenn or me + Carl make populist films. But the original idea has always been about the sort of films we want to see - and generally have real doubts about whether the audience will just say "what the hell was that all about?" when it's finished.

Trust the inner instinct, just like BA Baracus. His instinct was that others would try to get him on a plane - and he was right.

What I did on my film today: Lots more writing, nearly through it now. This second phase is very useful.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I hope so, I'd like everyone to read it.

Takes about 15 minutes to post and I do it at lunch - I write quickly!

When are you going to get a photo on your profile, come on chop chop.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home